Being a NSWIHC educator means that you are an independent contractor – you work for yourself.
You are not left alone here, we provide guidance on industry standards and liaise between families for you.
Your Own Wages
You can pick a fee for standard hours (within our set range) between 8am-6pm, and a non-standard hourly rate after 6pm or on weekends and public holiday’s.
Your superannuation is paid on top and the service deducts your tax on your behalf.
the Family/s You Work With
Just like a family may choose which educator they would like to work with, the educator may also decide which family (or how many) they would like to provide education and care for.
Both the educator and the family meet to decide if it’s a right fit for them, before they commence working together.
What Do I Need?
You should have or be willing to attain:
- At least 1 year experience in an Early Education and Care setting or 2 years’ informal child-related work experience
- Minimum of a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, and/or a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, or a teaching degree
- A First Aid and CPR certificate
- Working with Children Check
- National Police Check
- Public Liability Insurance
How will I Be Supported While Working Independently?
- Before commencing with any of our families, all new NSWIHC educators are given access to an interactive online module that covers the fundamentals of working as a contractor within our service and in the In Home Care program.
- On an ongoing basis, NSWIHC educators are supported by Family Liaison Facilitators (FLF) by phone, email and periodic face to face visits (metropolitan Sydney) or virtual visits. Our Family Facilitators have out of office-hours mobile phones so you may contact them in more desperate times.
- NSWIHC Facilitators also hold information sessions or workshops intended on deepening the professional knowledge and experience of it’s educators across a range of topics.
All NSWIHC educators are equipped with all the necessary resources and support to operate independently in the field.